Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township

HATT | PO Box 2084 | Pocono Pines, PA 18350-2084

MARKER ADVOCATES of TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP
GENERAL SULLIVAN BRIDGE

Stacks Image 429

Sullivan Bridge, on Route 940 over Pocono Lake, was rededicated on December 21, 2016.
From left: Rick Bodenschatz of the Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township, state Rep. Jack Rader, and state Sen. Mario Scavello. (Photo courtesy of the Journal of the Pocono Plateau/Hofbauer Strategies)

Stacks Image 2214

Gen. John Sullivan led a military expedition from Easton to Wilkes-Barre, through Tobyhanna Township, in 1779.

Stacks Image 691
COMMEMORATES:
Gen. John Sullivan and the bridge named for him, first built in 1779 by his Continental Army expedition.

INSCRIPTION:
General John Sullivan’s 1779 Revolutionary War expedition built a road through this area. Only one bridge was required from Easton to Wilkes-Barre, and it crossed Tobyhanna Creek here. Camped nearby, over 500 troops completed the difficult construction. Officers named it Sullivan Bridge. The campaign was a victory, and the road opened the Pocono Plateau and the region to settlement.

SPONSOR: 2017 | Sullivan Trail Questers Chapter #1138, The Questers International

MARKER DEDICATED: May 21, 2017

LOCATION:
North side of Route 940 in Pocono Lake, at east end of Sullivan Bridge

COORDINATES: 41° 06' 40.9"N 75° 30' 17.3"W
or 41.111367, –75.504807

GPS ADDRESS: Pa. Route 940, Pocono Lake

READ MORE:
TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP MARKERS TO DATE:

About the Tobyhanna Township Roadside Marker Program


The Tobyhanna Township Roadside Historical Marker Program is a community-wide, volunteer effort spearheaded by the Marker Advocates of Tobyhanna Township (MATT).

MATT is a nonprofit association dedicated to this program. Volunteers serving in committees seek the funding, research and write the text, install the markers, arrange for a public dedication and establish a long-term awareness campaign through a touring map and a web site.

Be part of our heritage — Donate an historical marker

  • Through identification of the important facets of our rich history ... existing and lost landmarks, important events and activities, and our people, we will realize the goal of a community-wide network of roadside historical markers. Our community can now and for future decades and generations appreciate our heritage.
  • Each roadside historical marker will ensure the preservation of our local history and heritage, while providing an important educational opportunity that is accessible to the public, free of charge.
  • This program will build community pride while enhancing “heritage tourism,” recognized as a strong and desirable sector of our economy.
Sponsors donating the full cost of a marker are permanently recognized on the bottom of the marker. Additional appreciation is shared with the community through a public dedication ceremony, as well as a touring map, web site and other materials.

For more information on becoming a sponsor:


570-580-5353
Email us