Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township

HATT | PO Box 2084 | Pocono Pines, PA 18350-2084

MARKER ADVOCATES of TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP
COMMITMENT to EDUCATION

Stacks Image 2272
Stacks Image 684
COMMEMORATES:
A history of the schools at this location through the years.

INSCRIPTION:
A two room schoolhouse was built here in 1899 to serve students in Grades 1-6. High school classes were available only in far away Wilkes-Barre or Stroudsburg. A major expansion in 1912 accommodated Grades 1-10. After schools in Locust Ridge and Blakeslee closed circa 1930, the school evolved into multiple buildings for Grades 1-12. A huge 1979 fire destroyed the complex, leading to construction of the “Tobyhanna Elementary Center” on the original school property.

SPONSOR:
Memorial for Edna A. Bonser by Judi Leiding

MARKER TO BE DEDICATED: October 7, 2021

LOCATION:
Tobyhanna (Township) Elementary Center (TEC).

COORDINATES: 41°06'19.2"N 75°28'36.6"W
or 41.105341, -75.476831

GPS ADDRESS: 404 Old Route 940, Pocono Pines, Pa.

READ MORE:

TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP MARKERS:

About the Tobyhanna Township Roadside Marker Program


The Tobyhanna Township Roadside Historical Marker Program is a community-wide, volunteer effort spearheaded by the Marker Advocates of Tobyhanna Township (MATT).

MATT is a nonprofit association dedicated to this program. Volunteers serving in committees seek the funding, research and write the text, install the markers, arrange for a public dedication and establish a long-term awareness campaign through a touring map and a web site.

Be part of our heritage — Donate an historical marker

  • Through identification of the important facets of our rich history ... existing and lost landmarks, important events and activities, and our people, we will realize the goal of a community-wide network of roadside historical markers. Our community can now and for future decades and generations appreciate our heritage.
  • Each roadside historical marker will ensure the preservation of our local history and heritage, while providing an important educational opportunity that is accessible to the public, free of charge.
  • This program will build community pride while enhancing “heritage tourism,” recognized as a strong and desirable sector of our economy.
Sponsors donating the full cost of a marker are permanently recognized on the bottom of the marker. Additional appreciation is shared with the community through a public dedication ceremony, as well as a touring map, web site and other materials.

For more information on becoming a sponsor:


570-580-5353
Email us