Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township

HATT | PO Box 2084 | Pocono Pines, PA 18350-2084

MARKER ADVOCATES of TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP
WAGNER’S TREE FARM

Stacks Image 429

The Wagner’s Forest stop on a Wilkes-Barre & Easton Railroad spur was located to the west of Pocono Lake.
A 1904 schedule shows that only one eastbound and one westbound train stopped there each day.

Stacks Image 684
COMMEMORATES: The Wagner Family and its contribution to the conservation, forestry and economic development of Tobyhanna Township

INSCRIPTION: In 1888, George E. Wagner founded this tree farm on 1,700 acres. He and his son, Sterling R. Wagner, achieved recognition in the fields of forestry and conservation. A WB&E rail spur provided an outlet for forest products, coal, blueberries, and 1,500 Christmas trees annually. A partner in local and civic business, he pioneered the planning of the Township.

MARKER DEDICATED: September 10, 2016

SPONSOR: John E. Kerrick

LOCATION: Along the south side of Route 940, close to the small bridge at Wagner’s Run in Pocono Lake.

COORDINATES: 41° 07' 09.8" N 75° 31' 33.9"W
or 41.119401, –75.526087

GPS ADDRESS: Pa. Route 940, Pocono Lake, Pa. 19347

READ MORE:
TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP MARKERS TO DATE:

About the Tobyhanna Township Roadside Marker Program


The Tobyhanna Township Roadside Historical Marker Program is a community-wide, volunteer effort spearheaded by the Marker Advocates of Tobyhanna Township (MATT).

MATT is a nonprofit association dedicated to this program. Volunteers serving in committees seek the funding, research and write the text, install the markers, arrange for a public dedication and establish a long-term awareness campaign through a touring map and a web site.

Be part of our heritage — Donate an historical marker

  • Through identification of the important facets of our rich history ... existing and lost landmarks, important events and activities, and our people, we will realize the goal of a community-wide network of roadside historical markers. Our community can now and for future decades and generations appreciate our heritage.
  • Each roadside historical marker will ensure the preservation of our local history and heritage, while providing an important educational opportunity that is accessible to the public, free of charge.
  • This program will build community pride while enhancing “heritage tourism,” recognized as a strong and desirable sector of our economy.
Sponsors donating the full cost of a marker are permanently recognized on the bottom of the marker. Additional appreciation is shared with the community through a public dedication ceremony, as well as a touring map, web site and other materials.

For more information on becoming a sponsor:


570-580-5353
Email us