Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township

HATT | PO Box 2084 | Pocono Pines, PA 18350-2084

MARKER ADVOCATES of TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP
THE FIRST FIRE COMPANY | THE CLYMER LIBRARY

Tobyhanna Township Volunteer Fire Company, April 14, 1946. Today it is the location of the Clymer Library located on Firehouse Road in Pocono Pines. Pictured are Pete Gardner, Howard Smith, Carl Rittenhouse, Bill Dunlap, Curvin Miller, Franklin Smith, Charles "Rabbit" Hoffman, Herbert Altemose, Jack Johnson and Ed Judge.
Tobyhanna Township Volunteer Fire Company on April 14, 1946. Today the building, located on Firehouse Road in Pocono Pines, is home to the Clymer Library. Pictured are Pete Gardner, Howard Smith, Carl Rittenhouse, Bill Dunlap, Curvin Miller, Franklin Smith, Charles "Rabbit" Hoffman, Herbert Altemose, Jack Johnson and Ed Judge.
Stacks Image 684
COMMEMORATES:
The building that housed the township’s first fire company, established in 1935, which now is occupied by the Clymer Library.

INSCRIPTION:
THE FIRST FIRE COMPANY | Built in 1935, the Pocono Pines Fire Company included offices for police, township supervisors and support staff. Its Goodwill Community Club offered space for public “meetings, suppers and various functions.” By 1977, township growth necessitated expansion. The fire company and township offices moved to new facilities. As an all-volunteer fire company, it has protected and supported our community since November 3rd, 1930.

THE CLYMER LIBRARY | Our library was founded in 1906 at the Pocono Pines Assembly and Summer Schools by Clara and Lee Clymer. In 1930, it moved to the high school near here. From 1958-1977, the library shared space with the firehouse. When our fire company moved, this building was remodeled for public use as the library’s new home. It was expanded in 1991 and again in 2000. The Clymer Library is sustained by volunteers, and was all volunteer for 88 years.

SPONSOR:
Tobyhanna Township Volunteer Fire Company

MARKER DEDICATED: May 30, 2017

LOCATION:
115 Firehouse Road, Pocono Pines

COORDINATES: 41° 06' 21.5" N 75° 28' 33.2" W
or 41.105982, –75.475887

GPS ADDRESS: 115 Firehouse Road, Pocono Pines

READ MORE:

TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP MARKERS TO DATE:

About the Tobyhanna Township Roadside Marker Program


The Tobyhanna Township Roadside Historical Marker Program is a community-wide, volunteer effort spearheaded by the Marker Advocates of Tobyhanna Township (MATT).

MATT is a nonprofit association dedicated to this program. Volunteers serving in committees seek the funding, research and write the text, install the markers, arrange for a public dedication and establish a long-term awareness campaign through a touring map and a web site.

Be part of our heritage — Donate an historical marker

  • Through identification of the important facets of our rich history ... existing and lost landmarks, important events and activities, and our people, we will realize the goal of a community-wide network of roadside historical markers. Our community can now and for future decades and generations appreciate our heritage.
  • Each roadside historical marker will ensure the preservation of our local history and heritage, while providing an important educational opportunity that is accessible to the public, free of charge.
  • This program will build community pride while enhancing “heritage tourism,” recognized as a strong and desirable sector of our economy.
Sponsors donating the full cost of a marker are permanently recognized on the bottom of the marker. Additional appreciation is shared with the community through a public dedication ceremony, as well as a touring map, web site and other materials.

For more information on becoming a sponsor:


570-580-5353
Email us