Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township

HATT | PO Box 2084 | Pocono Pines, PA 18350-2084

MARKER ADVOCATES of TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP
POCONO PINES ASSEMBLY

Stacks Image 684
COMMEMORATES:
The Pocono Pines Assembly, one of the first and largest resorts in the community.

INSCRIPTION:
An independent “Chautauqua” was organized in 1902 by followers of Rev. Rufus W. Miller. Occupying 300 acres, it was initially named “Naomi Pines Assembly and Summer Schools.” Hotels, auditorium and a library provided facilities for 8-week summer programs in the humanities, arts and sciences, as well as Christian instruction and worship. Financial difficulties led to the property becoming a public resort from 1910 thru 1920.

SPONSOR: Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township

MARKER DEDICATED: May 27, 2017

LOCATION:
Pocono Crest Road near Pinecrest Lake Golf and Country Club in Pocono Pines, near the tennis courts.

COORDINATES: 41° 06'20.6" N 75° 27'40.8"W
or 41.105715, –75.461327

GPS ADDRESS: 5182 Pocono Crest Road, Pocono Pines, Pa.

READ MORE:
TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP MARKERS TO DATE:

About the Tobyhanna Township Roadside Marker Program


The Tobyhanna Township Roadside Historical Marker Program is a community-wide, volunteer effort spearheaded by the Marker Advocates of Tobyhanna Township (MATT).

MATT is a nonprofit association dedicated to this program. Volunteers serving in committees seek the funding, research and write the text, install the markers, arrange for a public dedication and establish a long-term awareness campaign through a touring map and a web site.

Be part of our heritage — Donate an historical marker

  • Through identification of the important facets of our rich history ... existing and lost landmarks, important events and activities, and our people, we will realize the goal of a community-wide network of roadside historical markers. Our community can now and for future decades and generations appreciate our heritage.
  • Each roadside historical marker will ensure the preservation of our local history and heritage, while providing an important educational opportunity that is accessible to the public, free of charge.
  • This program will build community pride while enhancing “heritage tourism,” recognized as a strong and desirable sector of our economy.
Sponsors donating the full cost of a marker are permanently recognized on the bottom of the marker. Additional appreciation is shared with the community through a public dedication ceremony, as well as a touring map, web site and other materials.

For more information on becoming a sponsor:


570-580-5353
Email us